Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Brian Sabean's 5 Worst Transactions

Brian Sabean has been the Giants GM since the end of the 96 season. In that time, he has led the team to division titles in 97, 2000, 03, 10, and 12. They also won the NL wild card in 2002 and have contended until the season's final week a number of times in his tenure. Sabean has led the Giants to NL penants in 2002, 2010 and 2012. He also has World Series titles from 2010 and 2012. During his tenure, the Giants have been one of baseball's best teams. However, it has not all been beautiful. I will now reveal my 5 worst transactions by the Giants in the Sabean era. Later today, I will also reveal my ten best. So, here is my list in order from 5 to 1.

5) Traded Zach Wheeler for Carlos Beltran trade deadline of 11

4) Traded Keith Foulke, Bob Howry, and Mike Caruso for Wilson Alvarez, Danny Darwin and Roberto Hernandez trade deadline 97

3) Signed Aaron Rowand to a 5 year 60 million dollar contract in December of 07

2) signed Felipe Alou as manager in November of 02

1) traded Joe Nathan, Boof Bonsor and Francisco Liriano for A.J. Pierzynski in November of 03

It is funny, when I started putting together the list, I expected it to be a top ten but I could not come up with ten that were really worth criticizing. Considering Sabean is the longest tenured GM in the majors, that is quite impressive. I wonder how many people still bring up the Pierzynski deal though.




     

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't consider the 1997 trade for Alveraz, Hernandez and Darwin a bad trade. These three acquisitions did what they were intended to do -- help the Giants win the division. Though only Darwin stayed around after 1997, their purpose was served in 1997. And so I wouldn't put that on the top 5. Other moves that could be considered to be bad moves would include:

    Signing Ray Durham as a free agent. He was great for the first two months, and after his injury running the bases, he was never the same after that.
    Letting Dusty Baker go. That was worse than signing Felipe Alou.
    Signing Dave Roberts.
    The acquisition of Steve Finley. His best days were over, and he was more of a counter productive acquisition than a helpful one.
    Bringing in Ryan Klesko. Need I say anymore?
    Letting Ellis Burk walk away as a free agent after 2000. The Giants missed his bat in the lineup as a consistent 5 hitter.
    Not signing Bobby Abreau as a free agent 4 years ago. He would've filled the right field void in 2008 and he would've been a good RBI guy at the time.
    Not signing Vladimir Guererro in the 2003 offseason. He would've provided a much better bat in right field to protect Barry Bonds than many of the pretenders out there such as Moises Alou and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I don't like about the 97 deal is that it was billed as the one that put the Giants "over the top" yet when they got to the playoffs, they flamed out quickly. As for Durham, it is hard to blame a GM or player for an injury that occurs after you get them.
      Burks, I agree with you about that one, I was disappointed at the time.
      I am personally glad they never signed Abreau. He never produced much after leaving hitter friendly yards. The not signing of guys is also hard to knock. You certainly offer up some very good points though. I hope to hear more from you.

      Delete